Love Potato Chips? Try This Crunchy Superfood Instead
We all know that potato chips are not a health food and even worse?..they are toxic to the human body; not just because of their serious inflammatory effect within the body (including aging the body), but also because of the way they are cooked. They create a by-product due to the processing of potato chips and other foods called Acrylimide: a cancer-causing and neurotoxic chemical, that is created when dense carbohydrate foods are cooked at high temperatures, whether baked, fried, roasted, or toasted.
Well, I have an amazing and yummy substitute for potato chips you can crunch your way to healthy bliss: Taro Chips.
What the heck are Taro Chips? Taro chips are made from the Taro Root of the Taro plant. Taro is a large perennial plant growing up to a mighty 5-6 feet. It’s rather large with heart-shaped leaves and frilly edges similar to an elephant’s ear.
Taro is a superfood and great for people who want to keep their blood sugar balanced – which means all of us. It is high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that protect you from disease, boost your immunity and slow the aging process and as an added plus..it is gluten-free.
You can buy ready-made Taro Chips or…make your own!
Here is a crunchy, easy and yummy recipe that is sure to please all who desire a great substitute for potato chips:
- Taro root, sliced or peeled
- Coconut oil or
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Thinly slice the peeled taro using a vegetable peeler or mandolin slicer.
- Brush the slices lightly with coconut oil (it stands up to high heat = healthy) and sprinkle with salt and any other seasonings you desire.
- Arrange the slices in a single layer on a greased baking tray and roast for 12 minutes. One taro root can make a lot of chips. Because of the single layer, you may have to use several baking sheets or work in batches, greasing pan again if necessary in between batches.
- After 12 minutes, check to see if they are crispy all the way through and no longer soft in the center.
- Remove to cool and sprinkle with sea salt.
To your good health!