Help for Aging Youthfully with Diabetes
Despite what we might think, aging does not have to bring with it discomfort, poor memory and frailty. The human body is remarkable in its ability to repair itself no matter what the condition. No longer do we have to put up with feeling crummy. We can take action to age more youthfully.
People with diabetes have additional challenges, but they too can achieve optimal health and reap youthful rewards. Halle Berry, the Hollywood actress, is almost 50, has diabetes, and is an excellent example of someone who takes care of her health and looks and feels years younger.
Reduce the Culprits that Lead to “Inflamm-Aging”
As we age, we naturally produce compounds that can result in chronic low-grade inflammation. This type of inflammation quietly simmers inside the body, like a slow cooker, damaging cells and tissues. It is the core cause of most illnesses, including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular and Alzheimer’s diseases, as well as muscle loss, arthritis and weight gain.
Weight gain is the silent inflammation of our fat cells and causes premature aging. Reducing inflammation will help you manage type 2 diabetes and reduce excess weight. Fat is not just a jiggly, inactive; it is very much alive. In fact, fat tissue is our largest endocrine organ, and it is very active in sending out hormonal messages to either release or store more fat.
The United States is ‘Inflammation Nation,’ and it is getting worse. 75% of all Americans have low-level inflammation and don’t realize it.
Since we can’t rely upon food alone to create optimal health, supplements can help target low level inflammation and minimize its impact.
Supplements for Healthy Aging with Diabetes
- Overall Health: A multivitamin/mineral supplement is an overall source of nutrition insurance to supplement your healthy diet.
- Joint Discomfort: A major complaint of aging is joint discomfort. Help reduce joint discomfort and support your joint health with a supplement that contains researched ingredients, such as glucosamine and chondroitin. Also, look for a joint health supplement that has been shown to not significantly affect A1c levels. Cosamin is available at your local Costco warehouse and on Costco.com:cdiabetes.com/fall2015/cosamin-ds-230-capsules
- Belly Fat: The spice Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin which helps reduce low-level inflammation by targeting and shrinking fat cells, especially belly fat.
- Blood Sugar: Alpha Lipoic Acid, a potent antioxidant, is highly effective in balancing blood sugar. It helps to maintain normal insulin sensitivity, reduce fasting blood glucose and post-meal blood glucose already in the normal range, and promote healthy insulin function.
- Energy: The vitality of youth begins with the cell. The major part of cellular energy happens within the mitochondria (the powerhouse of the cell). CoQ10 is critical for healthy mitochondria and is present in every cell of your body, but we lose CoQ10 naturally as we age. Statins can also create a deficiency. Supplemental Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) helps create natural energy and maintain cellular health.
To Your Health,
Lori Shemek, PhD, Health and weight loss expert, is the best-selling author of Fire-Up Your Fat Burn!