Do Diet Sodas Really Cause Weight Gain?
Love your diet soda? Diet sodas are not a weight loss aid and in fact, can harm your health and there is research to prove it.
Due to the slick advertising of major brands such as Coke, consumers have become inoculated with the ‘Diet Soda Will Help Shed Pounds’ belief. Not only are their claims inaccurate, there is the looming subject of zero-calorie sweeteners such as Aspartame, that are harmful to health.
It is interesting that these claims are put forth when:
- There is no evidence linking diet soda with weight loss. In fact, studies have shown just the opposite. Diet sodas cause weight gain – even more than sugar sodas! Also, artificial sweeteners are repeatedly linked with increased hunger.
- Scientific evidence shows that the artificial sweetener Aspartame worsens insulin sensitivity – more than sugar! These artificial sweeteners also cause many of the same issues that regular sugar sodas can: excessive weight gain, including obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease and stroke..not to mention hunger and cravings as well.
What are alternatives to diet sodas?
- Add slices of your favorite fruits or veggies — lemons, oranges, watermelon, cucumber, mint, or limes to a pitcher of ice-cold water for a refreshing drink.
- Add lemon, lime, orange slices or mint to sparkling water – super refreshing.
- Zevia brand soda is one I recommend due to its zero-calorie and health sweetener – Stevia. Zevia comes in any flavor from coke to root beer to grape.
- Try a hot beverage such as green tea. Not only for the healthful benefits of the tea, but the heat can help take your mind off of your diet soda desire.
So, as you can see, there are alternatives to drinking diet sodas that not only expose you to the same issues as regular sugar does, but to the well-documented health risks of artificial sweeteners as well.
To Your Good Health!