David Steindl-Rast: Want to be happy? Be grateful!
From the United States Declaration of Independence to Hollywood movies, the pursuit of happiness has been an ongoing experience. Brother David Steindl-Rast, a monk and interfaith scholar, suggests that being grateful is the path to happiness. Here’s a recent TED Talks he participated in explaining the connection between being grateful and being happy. Key points in his talk:
- Gratefulness is something that is given from the heart, not bought or earned. It is really given.
- Truly grateful people are grateful and happy all the time, not just sometime. They look at each moment as a gift.
- If you didn’t have this present moment, you wouldn’t have the opportunity to experience it… To do anything with it…
- Opportunities happen in each moment.
- While we can’t be grateful for all the problems that avail of themselves, like the loss of close friend or loved one, war, crime or the like… Still, in each moment there are opportunities.
I like his how to on discovering gratefulness and opportunities… STOP, LOOK, GO!