5 Ways to Making Sure You Get and Stay Fit This Year (and Beyond)
It’s a new year and you probably have set another resolution, right? If you were to go back and look at your past resolutions, you may just see a repeating pattern. You start out strong and finish weak. More than likely, you stopped a few months after you started. You’re not alone, most people travel the same path as you. I believe most people don’t even know the meaning of resolution. It simply means to be resolute towards a goal. You’ve got to be determined to ensuring the successful conclusion of any goal. Have you truly been that way?
Getting healthy and fit certainly takes some resolve, doesn’t it? At least for the great majority of people. Last year was another year when we saw another increase in obesity in the United States and other Western cultures. Even the Eastern culture is having the same thing happen to them. Fitness is dropping globally. First responders in the USA are obese and the highest of all professions (over 40% are obese). If your goals in health and fitness are not aligned with your values and beliefs, no amount of will power is going to work. Our subconscious mind overrides conscious input. The goal is to work with your whole mind in making sure you get healthy and fit. Here are 5 ways for you to do just that….
- Become more self-aware. This is both in mind and body. Regarding your mind, get to know your personal values and beliefs when it comes to health and fitness. You may have been programmed early on in life by your parents, culture and so forth. If you were to look at your parents and their actions, you could be doing the same thing now. Knowing your body is key to see how it responds to certain actions. Even what you eat will have an effect. Keep a journal for self-awareness. Discover your emotional responses too.
- Discover your “reason why” you want to get healthy and fit. Make it deep, not superficial. If it’s simply to get ready for a class reunion, that is fine. It’s also superficial. Why do you want to get healthy and fit for you class reunion? Keep chunking down until you can’t go any further. Find that deep emotional reason why. That will be what helps to drive you (along with your values and beliefs).
- Set goals, not resolutions. Goals are much clearer and with a deadline. Not everyone who sets a goal will reach it. I believe that until and unless they are aligned with your values and beliefs, you won’t sustain going after them. Develop a plan of action and work the plan. Work it daily. Everything counts! Make sure that you plan is a natural one. This means it’s adjustable and not set in stone. You’re a human being, not a robot. Things will happen, this includes mistakes. Adjust, learn and move forward.
- Associate with the right group. Who you surround yourself with the most you tend to become like. Just like the old saying, “birds of a feather, flock together” so should you hang out with fitness-minded people if you want to get fit. Do this both online and offline. Even words from distant friends can have a profound affect on you.
- Get gritty and determined! This is a major key to success in any area of life. Those that have grit tend to succeed. Be persistent towards your fitness goals. In fact, make fitness a lifestyle with determination. When you do that, you’ll soon be fit forever.
Bonus: Do fitness and movement activities that you enjoy. You will more likely stay engaged.
I wish you much success this year and beyond. Make this your best ever by giving it your best effort. Take continuous action, day in and day out.
Just do it!
Cheers, Bob Choat