Burn 200 Calories in Under 2.5 Minutes
The constant reminder to exercise most days a week for a minimum of 30 minutes is now really old news. That is not to say that this type of exercise is not good..it’s just that the type of exercise I’m going to tell you about is far better. How about increasing optimal physical health without being on the proverbial treadmill for what seems like forever?
Studies are pouring forth showing that the benefits of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a superior form of exercise. In fact, exercising for more than 20 minutes begins to trigger stress hormones and more..we do not want that. This type of interval training markedly improves athletic performance and you burn more fat and calories in the 24 hours after a high intesity interval training workout than you do after, say, a steady-pace run. There’s more: you will also create a stronger heart and lungs that coexists with weight loss and no muscle loss. HIIT triggers the production of your fat burner human growth hormone (HGH) during the 24 hours after you finish your workout.
Now, a study has found that working out intensely for just 2.5 minutes can burn an extra 200 calories throughout the day. 2.5 minutes you say? YES!
Here are 5 super-quick exercises to add to your daily calorie burn in only 2,5 minutes. Do as many as you can within the 2.5 minutes or break it up into 30 second or 1 minute intervals to make it easier:
1. Squats. From a standing position lower body into a sitting position, as if you are going to sit down and then stand back up. Ensure your knees do not go beyond your toes.
2. Burpees. Quickly moving from standing to squatting to push-up position challenges all your your muscles. It is one of the best exercises to do for all-over fitness and strength.
3. Jumping Jacks. These heart pumping jumpers can be done anywhere.
4. Mountain Climbers. These are excellent for strengthening your leg and your overall core muscles.
5. Groucho Walk. Stay in a half-squat position and walk as fast as possible. You can add a fake mustache for the added touch. ;)
Choose any one of these and perform them for 2.5 minutes in 30-second to 1-minute intervals if you like. Remember to make it challenging – that is the key!
To Your Health,
© 2013 DLS HealthWorks, LLC.
Lori Shemek, PhD, Health and weight loss expert, is the best-selling author of Fire-Up Your Fat Burn!